[Web4lib] Read and write but not execute from USB flash drives (&other removable media)

Robert Sullivan rsullivan at sals.edu
Tue Nov 22 17:34:27 EST 2005

>Unfortunately, some USB drives need to install themselves in order to
operate as a drive... have you had any problem with users being unable
read and write from their flash keys since using this software?

We don't allow users to install their own software, so we have had no
problems caused by Trust-No-Exe.

Our intent is to provide a stable, safe environment for patrons who wish
to use the Internet or Microsoft Office.  We were happy when the systems
people at our consortium found TNE because we could allow access to
storage media larger than a floppy without worrying about someone
bringing in something bad.

Disabling execution does mean that they can't run a portable browser, or
the album software on their picture disc from Stuff-Mart, or the
software from their class.  We do what we can to work around these
issues (some files are easily accessible if you know how to navigate
through the drive), but we can't be all things to all people.

Bob Sullivan  <rsullivan at sals.edu>
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)  <http://www.scpl.org/>
Schenectady Digital History Archive
<http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/>