[Web4lib] Google and multilingual searches.

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at vicnet.net.au
Mon Nov 14 18:03:46 EST 2005

Hi,

a few discusison groups and blogs have been discussing Google and its
lack of performance in soem languages.

Google has an Amharic language interface, and a Khmer language interface
has been under development. Which would at face value imply that you
could use Google to search for websites in those languages.

Some of the discussions indicate that it is impossible to actually find
websites using search terms in Khmer
(http://groups.google.com/group/khoogle/) or Amharic
(http://www.bytelevel.com/blog/archives/000679.html).

What is worth noting is that Google has indexed sites that contain Khmer
and Amharic unicode content, but it is not possible to search for that
content.

I'm curious, has anyone else had problems with other languages when
searching Google?

I'm aware of the issues with Vietnamese due to Google not using Unicode
Normalization, and the completely different result sets that you will
get depending on which keyboard layout or input software you use to type
your query.

Interestingly, Yahoo, which hasn't as many interface translations as
Google seems to be some what better behaved with respect to multilingual
  searches.

if anyone ahs any further information on this problem, I'd appreciate
the information.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
e-Diversity and Content Infrastructure Solutions

andrewc+AEA-vicnet.net.au

Ph. 3-8664-7430
Fax: 3-9639-2175

http://www.openroad.net.au/