[Web4lib] SE Michigan inter-library loan system down because of hackers

Edward Vielmetti edward.vielmetti at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 23:50:37 EST 2005

SE Michigan has had an interlibrary loan system
called MiLE, run by The Library Network. It was
good, albeit a tad clumsy to use, because it meant
you could request books from other libraries without
filling out paper forms or emailing a librarian.

The Ann Arbor interlibary loan system
has been switched back to manual processing
instead of automatic patron-initiated, but I didn't
realize until Deborah Fisch told me tonight that the system
had been hacked (and was not expected to be
recoverable! yikes).

I wrote up a little bit about what I could find here

http://vielmetti.typepad.com/vacuum/2005/11/interlibrary_lo.html

& will fill in the blanks with any details.

It was nice to be able to MILE books - even
though the UI was really bad - because it greatly
increased the chance that some obscure book
could be in my hands in under a week.

thanks

Ed

--