[Web4lib] Sony and Operating System

Thomas, Susan Elaine suethoma at iusb.edu
Wed Nov 9 14:34:51 EST 2005

This message comes for the AUTOCAT listserv. Has anyone else encountered
this problem and if so what actions have you taken, if any?

Susan Thomas
Head of Collection Development
Schurz Library
Indiana University South Bend
(574) 520-5500
suethoma at iusb.edu

I don't know if anyone has been following this, but for those of you who
have collections with CDs, be aware that there is a potentially fatal
problem with the new anti-piracy software that comes with new Song/BMG
titles. These CDs come bundled with their own player, which has to be
installed in order for the CD to run. This program then limits the
number of copies that can be made from the CD to three. However, in
doing this it also installs a rootkit.

Rootkits, according to Mark Russinovich, who writes a computer blog, are
"cloaking technologies that hide files, Registry keys, and other system
objects from diagnostic and security software, and they are usually
employed by malware attempting to keep their implementation hidden."
What this rootkit does is actually rewrite parts of the code on your OS.
Trying to delete these files may cripple your system, and may leave it
vulnerable to other viruses and worms that capitalize on security
weaknesses in the new code. It may also lead to the "Blue Screen of
Death" and potential loss of data.

Note that nowhere in the licensing agreement we all click without
reading does it say that using the CD will alter your OS or rewrite your
computer's code. It is also very hard to get the uninstall program from
Sony, and it doesn't seem to work very well if you do get it.

The original problem was noted in Russovich's blog:
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-right
s.html

and its follow-up:
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/11/more-on-sony-dangerous-decloaki
ng.html

It has also been covered by several news outlets and on it security
websites:
http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/security/news/article.php/3561181

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/hackers_raid_so_1.ht
ml
(this has good links to other ariticles as well)

Because libraries buy and circulate CD copies to mulitple users, you may
want to take a look at the CDs in your collection and avoid these. Apart
from the spyware and privacy aspects, this is potentially a huge
security problem, and may actually cause Windows PCs to fail. Caveat
emptor.

Amanda Sprochi
Health Sciences Cataloger
J. Otto Lottes Health Sciences Library