[Web4lib] A Delicious Future for Libraries?

Dale Askey daskey at ksu.edu
Fri Nov 4 12:57:41 EST 2005

> There's nothing inherently non-Western about their approach, that I can see.
> And, lest we forget, there are plans for international versions of similar
> scope or scale, from EU and perhaps other "Google Prints." I don't think
> there's anything inherently politically incorrect about their mission; you
> can read it here:
> http://www.google.com/corporate/

Google can claim anything it wants in a press release, as can any other
company; moreover, anything they claim is simply parroted in the press
as a simple search in any news aggregator shows. What I'm doing here in
my Cassandra role is saying that their press releases do not indicate
current realities. Their approach is inherently Western oriented, not
because of any evil designs, but because technologies and markets
dictate that it be so. What value is there for Google to solve the very
difficult challenges with Fraktur and Arabic, and these two examples are
the type of an iceberg when it comes to the inability of current
state-of-the-art OCR technology to deal with many non-Roman scripts.

As far as the expansion of Google Print to the world, read the foreign
press and mailing lists for the concerns expressed about that undertaking:

http://wiki.netbib.de/coma/GooglePrint
http://www.fr-aktuell.de/ressorts/kultur_und_medien/medien/?cnt=750084&
Googles Käse - Süddeutsche Zeitung, Oct. 20 2005
and so forth

I'm no fan of Jeanneney's brand of knee-jerk anti-American reaction to
Google Print, but there are realistic concerns being expressed elsewhere
about this "internationalization."

> My biggest concern would be the same one I've expressed for several years
> now; why don't our library associations have a continuing and frequent and
> "standing" liaison with Google? There's no good reason I can see not to
> bridge the divide, if there is one, have the open dialog between Google and
> librarians in a "birds of a feather" sense, and see what comes of it. We
> likely will lose from the lack, and we stand to gain solid professional
> input into the information systems and applications of a major "information
> provider."

When the University of Michigan doesn't even share information about the
digitization plan with its own employees, why would Google deign to
speak with non-participating libraries? For that matter, they're not
really even talking all that well with the AAP, and they certainly have
a compelling reason to have that conversation. On the last point, about
learning about the "information systems and applications" it is
necessary to point out the obvious: Google is a publicly held company
that will protect its intellectual assets from all others. Thomson Gale
does not reveal its digitization trade secrets (which are formidable)
for very good reasons. It's called competitive advantage.

This isn't about being a Google-hater or trying to create an us vs. them
atmosphere. Fact is, when it comes to mass digitization, libraries will
lose to any corporation that chooses to enter this field. What irks me,
and I think should concern us all, is that the claims Google makes raise
expectations to unrealistic levels that will not be attained or, at the
very least, not be of broad benefit. This whole nonsense about making
the world's accumulated knowledge accessible to all is getting a little
old. Yes, some of that knowledge available to many, but let's exercise a
little professional assertiveness and point out where such grandiose
plans ran aground.

Dale

--
Dale Askey