[Web4lib] The data death spiral

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 11:33:10 EST 2005

I believe that it was in the wonderful book Parkinson's Law there
appears an allegory about a board faced with two decisions:  one is
whether to build a nuclear reactor at a cost of millions, and the
other is whether to buy a new coffee pot for the board room.

The board will pass the reactor with very little debate, because no
one in the room understands the technology or the vast costs.  But
then the board will debate the coffee pot endlessly, because everyone
in the room understands buying coffee pots.

I've seens this over and over again in academe.  $10 million or $100
million decisions are made faster than $100,000 or $10,000 ones.

/rich