[Web4lib] A Delicious Future for Libraries?

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Thu Nov 3 21:13:00 EST 2005

Maurice brings a voice of reason, and insight, to the discussion.

There's nothing inherently non-Western about their approach, that I can see.
And, lest we forget, there are plans for international versions of similar
scope or scale, from EU and perhaps other "Google Prints." I don't think
there's anything inherently politically incorrect about their mission; you
can read it here:
http://www.google.com/corporate/

"Company Overview
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it
universally accessible and useful."

My biggest concern would be the same one I've expressed for several years
now; why don't our library associations have a continuing and frequent and
"standing" liaison with Google? There's no good reason I can see not to
bridge the divide, if there is one, have the open dialog between Google and
librarians in a "birds of a feather" sense, and see what comes of it. We
likely will lose from the lack, and we stand to gain solid professional
input into the information systems and applications of a major "information
provider."

As a whole, on both sides of the clouds of Google Print (publishers *and*
libraries), I am neither rose-colored amazed, nor bashing what's a beta
project that involves a major new dot.com with deep pockets, and re:mission
above, and so far, involving several large, prestitious universities with
large, deep libraries. It's like being present at a grand experiment, and I
just hope we don't stand too long on the sidelines.

Best,
DrWeb

--
P. Michael McCulley aka DrWeb