[Web4lib] ethernet cable alarm

J.P.Knight J.P.Knight at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Nov 3 06:05:14 EST 2005

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, helene bjorseth wrote:
> Does anyone know of a security device that will make an audible alert if
> the network cable is unplugged - or a device that will make it impossible
> to re-connect to the network for 10 or 15 minutes?
> Or can anyone think of another way to stop these guys?

Why not just lock the cable into the ethernet socket?  I've done that a
couple of times, mostly by modifying telephone socket locking covers so
that they'll work with RJ45 wall sockets.  That's a 15 minute job with a
sharp knife usually and stops little undergraduate fingers from messing
with the cables at the wall socket end.  I've used thin cable ties to make
sure that the cable can't be yanked out of the Ethernet card at PC end on
occasions as well (although most of the locked sockets are either to stop
people from using them or for embedded devices where the ethernet cable
disappears inside a locked, hardened steel case).

With the cost of ethernet cards, cables and wall socket inserts being what
they are today you could even superglue the cables in place. :-)

Jim'll