[Web4lib] A Delicious Future for Libraries?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Wed Nov 2 18:22:08 EST 2005

Peter, the line between an index and a library may blur in terms of law,
but there's a big difference in terms of usability, and I think that's
something that we are glossing over when we use the term "digitize."
There are lots of ways to digitize a text, from the Project Gutenberg
"plain ASCII," to a photograph of the page in TIFF format, to a
DAISY-conformant digital audio and text file, to a TEI-encoded format of
the text, to Mobipocket format, etc. Each of these has its own
"affordances" and no one of them is the perfect format for everything we
want to do with a text.

Project Gutenberg has over 10,000 public domain texts in a
machine-readable form and available for free over the Internet. I would
like to think that this has made a big difference in some people's
lives, but I'm not sure that's the case. We need to understand what we
can do to promote *reading*, not just searching and downloading. I'm
pretty sure that putting lots of public domain text on the Internet for
free is not in itself going to cause the revolution that folks like
Michael Hart and Brewster Kahle are hoping for. There's a huge social
and individual element that we have not addressed. Compared to the
technology questions, these more human questions are many times more
difficult. But if we don't solve them, then the technology is just
turning out more copies to be stored on more machines, without enriching
the lives of people.

kc

Peter Morville wrote:

>That's a good clarification Karen. Of course, providing access to degraded
>(but readable) versions of public domain items will be a wonderful cultural
>contribution. For many people around the world, this will be much better
>than nothing. Also, I'm optimistic that copyright law and the publishing
>industry's business models will evolve in a positive direction. So, in the
>long run, I expect the line between index and library to blur.
>

>Peter Morville
>President, Semantic Studios
>http://semanticstudios.com
>http://findability.org