[Web4lib] reorganizing a web site

Jennifer A. Keach keachja at jmu.edu
Tue Nov 1 15:25:23 EST 2005

Kathy,

We tackled file structure issues at the same time that we redesigned our
site, too.  We launched our new site <http://www.lib.jmu.edu/> in August
2005.

When we re-organized the content that users could see, we identified
four main areas of content:  services, research, about us, and help.  We
created directories for each of these at the root level and put files
there that applied to the entire library organization.  Mostly, we did
this to help our web authors to think of content as one of those 4 types
of things.  The only files at the root level for us is the main library
front page and our search page.

For other directories, we made some decisions based on assigning
permissions.  We have subwebs on the site and a web manager for each of
those subwebs--mostly aligning with branches.  So, we created
directories for each of our subwebs so we could assign editing
permissions at the subweb directory level.  Under each of those subweb
directories, we again mimicked the services, research, about us, and
help directories.  Incidentally, the user sees a unique front page for
each subweb, but pages below that level are no longer visually
subweb-specific, even though they live in subweb directories.  Instead,
we are using Contribute templates so pages share the same left-hand
navigation as other pages of their type (i.e. services, research, about
us, help), regardless of the subweb directory in which it lives.  That
way, we unified our information but still easily gave permissions for
subweb managers to manage subweb-specific content.

If you want similar types of content to have similar local navigation
and a template won't do, you might want to group like-things in
directories together and use an include file for just that directory.
We use specific local navigation within subject research guides and used
include files to do so, putting all the like-subject files in their own
directory.  All the pages that are part of the Business research guide,
for instance, live in the same directory and display matching left-hand
navigation from both the Contribute template (offering the "research"
left-hand menu) and a local include file (offering navigation within the
business pages).  Doing this also helped us with permissions, since we
could give each subject liaison permission to their subject area.

We also looked at the length of some of the URLs and moved some files
closer to the root directory to shorten them.  Each subject guide
directory, for instance, is at the root so they are
www.lib.jmu.edu/business/ instead of
www.lib.jmu.edu/research/guides/business.  Within each of those
directories, the subject liaison is free to arrange things as they see
fit.

Finally, some of our content moved into database applications.  Each of
those applications ended up with their own directory.  That was mostly
to keep URLs short and application files together.

So far, our approach seems to have worked for us although some
non-spectacular exceptions did creep in.

If you are curious, you can read more about our redesign in the Fall
2005 issue of our library newsletter <http://www.lib.jmu.edu/edge/>.
The direct link until the next issue is published is
<http://www.lib.jmu.edu/edge/article2.aspx>.

Good luck in your redesign!
Jennifer Keach, Head of Digital Services
James Madison University Libraries
<http://www.lib.jmu.edu/>