[Web4lib] RE: Re: RE: More on the Open Content Alliance

Grace J. Agnew gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 1 12:15:56 EST 2005

Also, the sharing of information about the digitization process is also
important for collaborative preservation--particularly to
collaboratively address digital format obsolescence, etc.  When the
library world collaborates to set digitization standards, our intent is
to insure usability for future generations, through transcoding,
encapsulating, etc. as formats and technologies change.  I wonder where
Google sees itself in terms of collaborative preservation?

Grace Agnew

Roy Tennant wrote:

> Not to belabor this, but a final clarification of my intent since I
> phrased it poorly. Perry is correct, that to see the public domain
> material from the University of Michigan we won't need to go through
> Google. But I was trying to speak more about Google's intent. If
> Google truly wanted only the public good, then there would be no
> reason to be secretive -- in fact there would be some very good
> reasons to be completely open about how they are accomplishing this
> technical feat. But Google wants content to get eyeballs, and
> therefore more advertising revenue. Therefore, they have little or no
> interest in making information about how they are doing things
> available to the rest of us. This has nothing to do with the
> University of Michigan, but it has a great deal to do with Google.
> Roy
>
> On Oct 28, 2005, at 11:49 AM, Perry Willett wrote:
>
>> And to respond to Mark's comments: they're not Google's
>> scanned books, they're ours. These are our collections, and
>> we take curatorial responsibility for both the print and
>> digital versions. If people want to use Google Print,
>> that's fine. Roy's point was that he thought that people
>> would be forced to use Google to see these books, and
>> that's just not true.
>>
>> Perry
>>
>> Perry Willett
>> Head, Digital Library Production Service
>> 300 Hatcher North
>> University of Michigan
>> Ann Arbor MI 48109-1205
>> Ph: 734-764-8074
>> Fax: 734-647-6897
>> Email: pwillett at umich.edu
>>

>>> Perry,
>>>
>>> Being the devil's advocate here: why would I go to the U.
>>> Michigan website to look for Google's scanned books when
>>> I could go to Google's website and get the "internet" as
>>> well as scanned in books from other universities? It
>>> might be useful for U. Michigan faculty staff and students
>>> to search the scanned books from U. Michigan but not the
>>> rest of the world.
>>>
>>> - Mark

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Rutgers University Libraries
47 Davidson Road Piscataway, NJ 08854
732/445-5908
gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu

/Better research, better papers, better grades! Try Searchpath
<http://searchpath.libraries.rutgers.edu>, our new online information
literacy tutorial./
http://searchpath.libraries.rutgers.edu