[Web4lib] reorganizing a web site

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Nov 1 12:05:54 EST 2005

Obligatory reference to <http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI>, and a
reminder that you can't expect all users to start at your home page and
follow links from there.

Arrange your files however it makes sense for you, but don't leave your
users staring at "Page Not Found".  If you really really have to change
the URL, use some technique that provides a 301 (permanent redirect)
header - not an http-equiv tag in an HTML page.

In general, your users don't care if your file hierarchy is very
vertical, very flat, or nearly nonsensical.  A few will prefer it if the
URLs have understandable names - hours.html rather than page3752.cfm or
whatever, but that's about it.  They do care if they start getting 404
errors. They also care about the logical navigational structures on your
site. But there's nothing that says a breadcrumb trail of "About ->
Hours -> Thanksgiving Holiday Hours" has to reflect a directory
structure of /about/hours/txgiving.html.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu