[Web4lib] RE: [LITA-L:1901] Re: Google Print Home Page now offers searching

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue May 31 20:15:29 EDT 2005

Maurice, first voyager into this brave new world, thanks for taking the
first whack at Google Print. I took five minutes with it and had a few
thoughts too, cc'ed to Web4Lib.

I also liked that search inside the book feature. A search for "not" (which
is not a stopword in GP) retrieved a book about bad Broadway hits and soon I
was digging up hilarious quotes from Frank Rich.

The ads are a major turnoff. For real fun, search on the term "essays." I
already have an issue with Google pimping for paper mills, as if they didn't
make enough money. How amusing to see the ads for these companies show up on
GP.

I'm also having meta-mutterings. Has all of it been imported and is metadata
calculated into the search formulas in any way? Why or why not? I see the
records, though I haven't found one with say a 500 notes field.

If you look at "Web search for reviews of..." you see that it's constructed
from a link created by a Google search (now "Web" is a synonym for Google?)
of two keywords and an ISBN.

I see four and sometimes five booksellers listed:

Transaction Books
Amazon.com
Barnes&Noble.com
Booksense
Froogle

Anyway... tag, you're it, whoever's next!

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com