[Web4lib] Subscription options for streaming popular music

Peter Schoenberg PSchoenberg at EPL.CA
Tue May 31 14:55:42 EDT 2005

Our web site is offering streaming classical, jazz, blues, world,
Chinese music using    www.naxosmusiclibrary.com.   Customers can listen
from within our 16 locations or remotely (after a login).

Is anyone aware of a service that would provide streaming "popular"
music on a simultaneous user basis?

I had an intriguing series of emails with a sales person from Napster (I
had hoped their Napster University program might help us).     After
many back and forths, he finally understood that we did not want to
allow downloading, we wanted to offer streaming music in a controlled
way.     He said told me that no major labels were doing that, I pointed
out Naxos and the fact the EMI participates in Classical.com' s service.
His final email was -- "those services only offer classical music not
the popular music that Napster offered".   To which I replied (without
the caps) THAT IS WHY I AM TALKING TO YOU!!!     The bottom-line, that
is not a subscription option they offer.     Too bad, thousands of
libraries, many millions of customers - I am sure there is money to be
made.

Any suggestions, anyone doing this?

We have been getting a good amount of usage with Naxos and are very
pleased with it.    We are able to provide access with a reasonable
number of simultaneous users - the only time we have had user limits
exceeded was on the very first day we placed an "ad" for this new
service in our library catalogue.

Peter