[Web4lib] Question about OPAC printing

Alan Stewart stewarta at memphislibrary.org
Tue May 31 14:37:17 EDT 2005

I'd like to pose a question relating to public computers designated for
library catalog access.  (This message is being posted to several lists;
apologies for any duplication.)

In Memphis we are preparing for a migration to a new ILS. As part of our
preparation, we are replacing all of our VT-320 terminals currently
being used to run a character-cell catalog interface with the same
number of PCs which will run the web-based catalog (but which will not
be otherwise able to access the Internet, won't have MS Office, etc.).
We won't be able to use our old dot-matrix printers, which provided free
catalog printouts, with the new PCs. All of our other public computers
are networked into a centralized printing system (Pharos) where
customers pay for their printing.

We are trying to determine whether to network the catalog PCs into the
Pharos system (the easiest solution) or provide stand-alone printers at
each catalog station, where printing would continue to be free.

Has anyone else phased out free catalog printing? If so, how was this
received by staff and customers? If you have maintained free printing,
have you had any trouble explaining the difference between the two types
of printing to your customers? Have you had unexpected technical
difficulties?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer us!

Alan Stewart
Interim Electronic Services Coordinator
Memphis Public Library & Information Center 3030 Poplar Ave.
Memphis, TN 38111
phone: (901) 415-2856
fax: (901) 323-7108
e-mail: stewarta at memphislibrary.org