[Web4lib] ALA RFP for Content Management System

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Wed May 25 14:02:54 EDT 2005

Karen Davis wrote:
>>Content management is an editorial process not a software project.
>

> Yes, agreed, but one still needs the proper tools.
>
> A well-thought out editorial process *without the right tools* is only
> part of what is needed. The other part consists of training and documentation
> on using the tools properly to achieve the organizations's stated goals
> for its web site.
>
> I think a lot of people are wanting softwares to do their thinking for
> them and it doesn't work that way. Garbage in, garbage out.

I think it's important not to downplay the technical issues.  An
organization can be sold a bill of goods if they're not properly attuned
  to the risks and hazards.  This is more than trying to get a system on
the cheap.  A bad system can cost as much as a good one.  The process
seems to work best if you have a couple of people on board who've been
through it once or twice before.  This kind of knowledge -- which
involves the entire process and not simply installing the software --
can steer you clear of costly mistake.

I think this was a major problem with the first iteration of the ALA site.

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com