[Web4lib] ALA RFP for Content Management System

David Walker dwalker at csusm.edu
Wed May 25 13:29:06 EDT 2005

> Yes, agreed, but one still needs the proper tools.

Most definitely! :-)

I think the chief criticism that Veen and others offer (and I've seen
this same thing play out at our university, so know it first hand) is
that far too often that process works in reverse.

The organization pushes content management onto the IT department as
something they have to "solve."  They, in turn, shop around for the best
CMS they can afford, install it, train content developers on it . . .
and then no one uses it, or hates using it, because it's too complicated
and clumsy, can't handle the variety of content the organization
produces, and ultimately doesn't really meet anyone's needs.

And all that after a long, expensive installation and conversion
process.

In my opinion, a truly successful content management strategy doesn't
begin with the assumption that a single piece of software (CMS or
otherwise) is the solution.  Rather, it looks to understand and improve
the creation, reuse, and editorial processes that produce your
organization's content, and then (and only then) looks to tools (in most
cases plural) that might assist in those processes.

I really like Contribute as a low-cost alternative to a CMS.  In the
vast, vast majority of organizations, it's probably all you really need.
Couple it with some home-grown, server-side stuff, and I think you've
got a pretty good solution, at a fraction of the cost.

--Dave

David Walker
Web Developer
Library