FWD: Re: [Web4lib] RE: [ALACOUN:14893] Content Management RFP

Mike Taylor mike at miketaylor.org.uk
Wed May 25 11:06:19 EDT 2005

> Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:39:19 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Chris Gray <cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca>
>
> > what do you mean by "basic TANSTAAFL lessons"?
>
> T here
> A in't
> N o
> S uch
> T hing
> A s
> F ree
> L unch

... except that there is.  Surely we all by now have enough experience
of Linux, X11, Firefox, Apache, GCC and the rest to know that
sometimes there really _is_ a free lunch.  And even when "free"
doesn't translate to "zero cost", due to the need for transition
training, customisation, etc., the free lunch is still usually much
cheaper than the proprietary one.  (I've got to stop mixing these
metaphors -- I can't tell whether it's making me hungry or confused.)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor  <mike at miketaylor.org.uk>  http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "A newly-minted myth: the great snake Soruoboruo tried to
	 swallow itself headfirst.  During the ensuing acrobatics it became
	 disoriented and confused and sought refuge in a cave.  The farther
	 it traveled into the cave, the more cave it discovered ahead
	 of itself.  Although the Cosmic Serpent has no awareness of the
	 fact, the cave is its own cloaca, up which it continually crawls.
	 And so it has become a universal metaphor for politics, Internet
	 discussion groups, and the social sciences." -- Matt Wedel.