[Web4lib] From Search Engine Watch: Introducing a New Web Search Contender

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Tue May 24 11:27:15 EDT 2005

Yes, Exalead  has some very attractive features.  I've had it linked from
my library's homepage for months now -- last Fall sometime. It offers true
truncation, and I use the various thumbnail views in my courses, as well
as the drill down options. They do a particularly nice job of suggesting
concepts to focus your search results.

Mary mentions that Exalead doesn't update their database often, and this
has been a vivid concern for me in using this to search. You can test this
by searching for Google's famous patent application in Exalead
("Information retrieval based on historical data"). The patent was
released late March and still is not in Exalead.

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu