[Web4lib] del.icio.us tags and bookmarking sites -- WHY DO IT?

Josh Kuperman josh.kuperman at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:19:59 EDT 2005

On May 23, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Patricia F Anderson wrote:

> I'm not sure if folks here have already seen this essay which is
> relevant to this discussion.
>
> Clay Shirky's Writings About the Internet: Ontology is Overrated:
> Categories, Links, and Tags: <http://shirky.com/writings/
> ontology_overrated.html>

For those of you who don't read anymore (and why should you?) you can
here Clay Shirkey present this as a talk at http://
www.itconversations.com/shows/detail470.html and you might also want
to check out http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail443.html
(Jimmy Wales talking about why Wikipedia.org is what it is and how it
got that way) and http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail400.html
(Brewster Kahle talking about providing Universal Access to all
knowledge).

When I subscribed to the IT Conversations feed and listened to these
as podcasts, I became convinced that Libraries, Public Libraries more
than most, are in danger of becoming totally irrelevant as far as
providing any service of value to the people that fund them.