[Web4lib] del.icio.us tags and bookmarking sites -- WHY DO IT?

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon May 23 10:58:23 EDT 2005

But if the major search engines are not doing tagging or adding such
things to their databases, what is the current value to the typical user
that is probably not aware of tagging?  I can see it as something
librarians need to keep an eye on as an up and coming technology but is
it worthwhile instructing our users about it?  Will Furl or something
like it replace Google?  I don't think so.

Bill Drew
drewwe at morrisville.edu

________________________________

	From: John W. Chapman [mailto:johnwchapman at gmail.com]
	Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 10:53 AM
	To: Drew, Bill
	Cc: web4lib at webjunction.org
	Subject: Re: [Web4lib] del.icio.us tags and bookmarking sites --
WHY DO IT?

	The main benefit I derive from the del.icio.us site is by seeing
who else has linked to the articles I have, and then looking to see what
other sites they have found that I might have missed. In addition, the
level of linking to particular resources, especially when observed over
time, can provide clues as to the currency or hype around a particular
trend. This is particularly true when looking for information on the
type of resources that users of the service skew towards - web
development, graphic design, tech gadgetry, etc.

	Saying that, I find it useful, but not crucial - a once-a-week
type of service, not a daily one.