[Web4lib] Re: Top 15 Firefox Extensions

Gianluca Drago gianluca.drago at unipd.it
Fri May 20 03:01:54 EDT 2005

michaels at lrl.leg.mn ha scritto:
> Has anyone experienced major problems with the Web Developer Toolbar?
> I loaded it Tuesday, loved it, but Wednesday on booting my computer
> my Firefox was fried - all toolbars missing and menu bar inactive.
> Adding this extension was the only change I have made recently to my
> computer.  I know there could be many reasons for my problem, but
> looking for any experiences like mine....and I really want to reload
> this extension!
>
> I am systematically bringing back pieces of my "fried" Firefox
> profile to see if this extension was it.
>
> Mike Schatz
> Minnesota Legislative Reference Library

Mike,

I never had problems with Web Developer Extension.

Maybe you can fix your Firefox install this way.
Launch Firefox with all extensions disabled:
- on Windows from the Windows Start menu --> Programs --> Mozilla
Firefox --> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)
- on Linux from the command line: "firefox -safe-mode"
- on Mac OS X: "cd /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/" and
"./firefox-bin -safe-mode"

(see http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/faq#troubeshoot-addons)

If it works, you can then uninstall whichever extension you want from
Firefox menu Tools --> Extensions

Another thing you could do is to create a new Firefox profile:
- on Windows: Select Start --> Run... from the Windows Start menu, then
enter "firefox.exe -profilemanager" and press OK
- on Linux or Mac OS X: "./firefox -profilemanager" (this assumes that
you're in the firefox directory)

With a new profile you are sure all your personal configurations and
extensions are ignored, so you can try a fresh install of the toolbar
and see if it works...

(see http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new)

Be sure you are running a version of Firefox that works with Chris
Pederick extension (requires: Firefox: 1.0 - 1.0.4).

Bye,
Gianluca