[Web4lib] HTTP status report examples

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu May 19 13:11:42 EDT 2005

I was looking at our weekly HTTP error status report we generate for web
links in our database and it occurred to me I'd never seen examples of
anything other than what we use.

Our report offers a total at the top of the quantity in each error code
(e.g. 301, 404, etc.).

Then our validation report lists:

* Item title
* Item ID
* HTTP status (301, 302, etc.--200s not included!)
* URL used by LII (validating URL)
* Server responses, e.g. "moved permanently"
* For redirects, the report notes the new URL, e.g.:

http://www.foobar.org
301 Moved Permanently:  http://snafu.info

Finally, at the bottom is the number of passes made by the validator in its
check.

With one little issue related to 302s, we feel by and large it's a very
reliable report. We get almost no 400s, if ever.

To paraphrase a truly terrible television commercial, what's in your
(validation) wallet? If you use a report like this, what does it include
(and what software are you using)?

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com