No subject

Wed May 18 14:54:51 EDT 2005

From: "Stacy Pober" <Spober at manhattan.edu>
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:48:36 EST5EDT
Subject: Re: Browser versions

> From: "Thomas Dowling" <tdowling at ohiolink.edu>
> Andrew's caveat is worth heeding, but for some of us hits coming from
> non-CSS browsers is slipping under the 10% mark.  At some point (I'm not
> saying it's necessarily 10%) the amount of effort worth spending on the
> Netscape 3.x crowd isn't worth the results.  The CSS solution doesn't
> break anything for them.

Here's a few reasons why people still use Netscape 3.x instead of 4.x:

-  Faster to open
-  Easier to use for restriction to particular sites (using that fake
proxy solution, you can exempt entire domains in 3.xx - with 4.xx you must
specify full site names)
-  Doesn't come with as much unwanted baggage as 4.xx

We stiill have 3.04 on some machines because of the simpler faux proxy
server setup, but I've noticed that some faculty on campus aren't
upgrading simply because they are waiting for the computer center to do it
for them.  Which is probably not going to happen anytime soon, so they'll
actually upgrade only when they get a new computer.

<sigh> Soon we won't be worth any trouble... guess we'll crawl off and eat
some worms at the "Old Browser's Home"

Stacy Pober
Manhattan College Libraries
spober at manhattan.edu