[WEB4LIB] Question: Medical Library Blogs?

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Wed May 11 13:50:05 EDT 2005

> I am interested in finding out about any medical or health science
> blogs. What medical libraries are doing blogs, what are they blogging
> about, who is their intended audience? Are there any medical librarian
> blogs intended for other medical librarians?

I would use several of the better blog search tools to try to get at this.

For example:

Found at DayPop, <http://medpundit.blogspot.com/> is by a doctor, but
mentions libraries regularly; and there was one medical librarian:
<http://www.gflower.org/>.

Blogdigger found another one:
<http://blur.blogs.com/whenusuallyitsnothing/2004/12/100_things_abou.html>

Using advanced search in Feedster to search "medical librarian" in only
blogs yields an embarassment of riches. GlobeOfBlogs also yields a lot,
but not as on target as Feedster. Technorati had more than either of
those, but was really slow. This was the top link at Technorati:

<http://texasjulia.blogspot.com/>

All three of these turned up:

<http://kraftylibrarian.blogspot.com/>
<http://jojo101.blogspot.com/>

... but only Techno found:

<http://rabid-librarian.blogspot.com/>
<http://www.livejournal.com/users/alisonash>
<http://janenebatten.blogspot.com/>
<http://www.psychosurgery.org/blog.html>

etc, etc ...

You can always try:

<http://www.libdex.com/weblogs.html>

and other blog search engines:

<http://www.aripaparo.com/archive/000632.html>

> What medical libraries have blogs for their patrons?

None that I know of.

> What blogs (if any) do librarians read to keep up with medical library
> related news or library technology.

I tend to go for specific topics. So I'll read blogs about web search
engines, health informatics, general library blogs, specific disease or
hospital patient blogs, etcetera. There is not a blog I read specifically
on medical libraries. Obviously, I do use the blog search engines. :-)

Patricia Anderson, Dentistry Library, University of Michigan,
pfa at umich.edu