[WEB4LIB] Amazon vs. Google as our corporate role model (was: In defense of

Steve Oberg steve.oberg at gmail.com
Tue May 10 20:51:30 EDT 2005

>In short, the commerce world has figured out that the intelligence needs
>to be build into the back end (e.g. the search engine), not into the
>front end (e.g. instruction).  If we don't do that, we'll continue to
>drive users to the interfaces and services that do.

I find something very ironic about this statement ("...intelligence
needs to be build [sic] into the back end...") because this flies
completely in the face of a decade-long (or longer) trend to cut back on
staffing levels on the "back end," particularly in technical services.
We have administrators or directors who are reassigning their staff to
public services (e.g. reference) to help users find what they need.
Users, they say, want service.  Another aspect of this, relating to
library OPACs, is the heavy emphasis on a "pretty" front end that can do
lots of neat user-oriented things.  This, at the same time that the back
end stuff was being cut and that resulted in an increasingly shoddy catalog.

I realize that what is being proposed here has more to do, perhaps, with
IT staffing, but one of the foundational goals of technical services in
libraries is to build a level of intelligence or ease for the user to
make it easier for him/her to find what he/she wants.  This is why
technical services is very much a public service and should be
considered as such.  Thinking of one part of traditional technical
services, cataloging, te whole point of an authority structure was to
help users find related items.  The whole point of providing linking
entries in serials records was to help users navigate to related things.
Just a few examples.

I am by no means a Luddite in spirit.  I also realize that praising
technical services or raising this kind of traditional -- library --
perspective is definitely frowned upon or dismissed by many.  It's not
fashionable.  I do not think that things were/are good in technical
services and didn't/don't need to change.  I just find it ironic that we
are coming to a conclusion about how good these commercial services are
(and I agree with that) when we are basically not investing in back end
operations to build better or more  intelligent systems for our users.
This is what they are doing.  Why aren't we?  Maybe we are, but we
aren't doing enough.

Steve

Steve Oberg
Family Man Librarian