No subject

Wed May 18 14:29:02 EDT 2005

>From tdowling at ohiolink.edu  Thu Oct 29 12:21:02 1998
From: "Thomas Dowling" <tdowling at ohiolink.edu>
To: "Web4Lib" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
Subject: Netscape 4.5 Problem
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 15:10:18 -0500

Web4Lib--

Earlier this week, I posted a message to Web4Lib relating a problem I was
having with a page that persistently crashed my copy of Netscape 4.5.  I
want to thank everyone who took time to look at the page.  I was easily
able to confirm that the problem was not unique to me, but caused crashes
in many people's browsers, including some people running Netscape 4.05 and
4.06.

My thanks especially to JQ Johnson who was able to debug the problem all
the way down to a specific rule in the linked stylesheet.  When I removed
the CLASS attribute that referred to that rule and rewrote exactly the
same rule as inline style, the page no longer crashed my browser.

I note that Netscape, at least in beta versions of their browser, has had
some support for stylesheets for about a year and a half.  Given how poor
and incomplete their implementation has always been, and now given its
apparent tendency to bugginess, let's all be happy about this week's
announcement that Netscape would get their rebuilt rendering engine
NGLayout into Communicator 5.0 after all.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu