[WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Sat May 7 06:50:26 EDT 2005

You can sure bet I do! My usual statement of "anytime you need to log in,
remember to log out again!" plus more. That 'search your own history'
function is very desirable to many folks, but there is a real potential
cost. Because A9 (unlike Google) does not offer you the option to delete
searches afterwards, I try to be careful what searches I use it for, and
try to think of someone else seeing them. I also am very careful on public
machines to log out. I also demonstrate what functionality you can get
from A9 *without* logging in. ;-)

PS - Bill, thanks a ton for the info on technical requirements needed to
create a 'column' in A9 -- that will help a lot when I am trying to get
folks off our backs locally. Still, it might be an interesting point for
dialogue with our OPAC vendor!

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu