[WEB4LIB] Which database to search? Database of Library (subject)

Steve Toub stoub at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 21:56:37 EDT 2005

NC State is working a concept which is really intriguing. It's planned
to go live this fall, but Tito Sierra presented a preview at a recent
conference.

In Search of the Single Search Box: Building a "First-step" Library
Search Tool

Presentation:
http://www.diglib.org/forums/spring2005/presentations/morris0504.htm

Video Demo:
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/dli/staff/tsierra/dlf-ncsu-qs-demo.wmv

Abstract:
Libraries are under increasing pressure to provide users with a single
search box that provides access to the diverse set of content and
services available through the library website. Neither library catalogs
nor generic Web site search tools meet this need directly. Metasearch,
while promising, is still generally characterized by slowness,
incompleteness in coverage, and confusing result sets. At NC State, an
analysis of library Web site search logs indicated that a large
percentage of user-submitted search terms target similar classes of
content (e.g., database names, journal titles, library information) to
which the library could readily provide a direct link. Concurrent with
implementing a next generation metasearch tool, NCSU Libraries is
developing a new Web site search tool designed to provide users with
quick and comfortable access to distributed silos of library content. A
"sponsored-links" component of this tool connects users to relevant
high-use library resources and information. A subject- identification
component provides contextual links to subject resource guides.
Integrated results from ancillary local indexes enable use of the tool
as a "first-step" in library search. This presentation will describe an
in-house solution based on open source tools such as Nutch and SWISH-E.
Challenges of current development will be discussed and future
development directions will be outlined.

	--SET