Library web presence (was Re: [WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users)

Randy Norwood randy.norwood at ttu.edu
Fri May 6 15:15:31 EDT 2005

Well said.

Do you know of some good examples where this approach has been implemented
(even if imperfectly)? Would it be a portal-type front end?

One problem with federated searching, especially as it includes more and
more types of content under its umbrella, is that less-experienced users may
not understand the scope of the "information space" they're in. This
continues to be an issue in the simple situation of users searching the
library web site (the "pages", not the OPAC, databases, journals, etc).
Perhaps this would be overcome if the web site search results were included
and described or presented in such a way that their limitations were clear
to average undergrad level students.

--
Randy Norwood
E-mail: randy.norwood at ttu.edu