[WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users

arhyno at uwindsor.ca arhyno at uwindsor.ca
Fri May 6 14:04:55 EDT 2005

>A9 does look nice (a quick search on 'Plantinga and "Ontological
Argument"'
>yielded useful sites) but I think Google was being used not as a contrast
>other Internet search engines but against online catalogs and commercial
>databases on one hand and librarians' expectations of what sort of
>competencies patrons really ought to have.

For that matter, I am sure there are people even within Google who work on
its advanced search interface that ruminate that it is not used more. In
addition to its "advanced" searching option, Google's directory project
<http://directory.google.com/> uses ODP categories <http://rdf.dmoz.org/>
and I am curious whether anyone has ever done any kind of a crosswalk for
ODP and any major library classification scheme like Dewey or LC. This
might be another hook for bringing library content into general web space,
and vice-versa.

art