Has Five Laws been digitized? If not, why? [WAS: Re: In defense of stupid users]

MichaelMay.6149485 at bloglines.com MichaelMay.6149485 at bloglines.com
Fri May 6 13:01:36 EDT 2005

Is S.R. Ranganathan's Five 1931 Laws of Library Science available online in
full text? If so, what's the url? If not, how horribly ironic.

Certainly
this would be a worthy digitization project. Does anyone know who owns copyright?
Ranganathan is deceased. The 1931 edition was published by the Madras Library
Association in Madras and London. The latest printing of the 2nd edition appears
to have been published in 1988 by the Sarada Ranganathan Endowment for Library
Science in New Delhi. I don't see Five Laws at Copyright Clearance Center's
site.

I'm not a copyright expert, but if the rights holder could be identified
and permission granted, couldn't Five Laws be digitized and made available
online?

Just imagine if Five Laws turned out to be an "orphaned" work!

Michael May
Appleton, Wisconsin

--- kgs at bluehighways.com wrote:

Off list, Isabel Danforth brought up the possibility of a connection

with Ranganathan's 5 laws.
> > What say you Roy, any chance you inspired
by Ranganathan?

> > In any case this should be called "Tennant's Law"

> I agree. Consciously or not, our beloved Roy was reframing Ranganathan's

> First Law. "Books are for use." Not to be hidden in closed stacks, not
to be
> selected to meet the librarian's needs or interests, not to be made
so hard
> to get to that users give up to go elsewhere.
>
> He Who Shall
Not Be Named once "rewrote" Ranganathan's laws, but Ranganathan
> needs no
rewriting. One of the better bloggers out there has been talking up
> good
old Rangy this week--nice to read.