Teaching useful skills to our users (was In defense of stupid users)

Carol Dales cdales at csudh.edu
Thu May 5 16:55:10 EDT 2005

Hmmmm...could we rename this thread? If my students peer over my
shoulder and read this long thread about "stupid users", I'm in trouble!

While I agree with Todd Miller that interfaces, particularly library
catalogs, do need simplification, I think we should resist the urge to
reduce all database searches to a uniform interface with few options.
Instead, particularly in academic libraries, shouldn't we be teaching
skills that enhance our users' searching and apply to their lives even
when they're not searching databases?

Although we never call it that, defining just what you want in specific
terms is a Boolean search--I teach this as "being picky". If I tell the
salesperson I want a shirt that's red, I'll probably be snowed under by
thousands of shirts that aren't at all what I wanted: the wrong fabric,
too expensive, the wrong size and so on. But that's my fault for not
being specific. And that's just like entering a typical one or two word
search.
However, if I say I want a shirt that's red AND cotton, I'll get fewer
shirts. If I add AND not over $50, I'll be even closer to what I want.
And so on--the universal principle being that the more requirements you
make of the database (or Google, if you will), the fewer results you
will receive and those results will be more like what you want. There's
no particular need to call this Boolean searching; it's simply providing
enough information to get what you need. And that's why we generally
teach the advanced screens of databases and of Google in our classes.

On this or another list (sorry, I don't recall the details), someone
taught controlled vocabulary through the metaphor of ordering a Big Mac
at Burger King. Users see quickly how to use the language the database
understands to get what they want---and are happy to use the tool
provided to find out what that vocabulary is.

That said, I'd be the first to agree that in a public library setting,
the quick search and go approach is usually most appropriate, and that
it's not always offered by the software or the staff.

E. Carol Dales
Library Distance Learning Instruction & Services Coordinator
California State University, Dominguez Hills

(310) 243-2088
cdales at csudh.edu
http://library.csudh.edu/

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow...