In defense of stupid users

Michelle Kraft mkraft at cchseast.org
Thu May 5 15:18:29 EDT 2005

I tend to agree with Erik a little bit. My perspective is from a medical
library.

We have already seen a case at Johns Hopkins where a doctor conducted his
own literature research on PubMed and Google which lead to the death of a
young woman.
http://www.infotoday.com/newsbreaks/nb010806-1.htm

Here was a case where the doctor did not consult a librarian, was happy with
his literature research results and thought his information needs had been
met.  I think life in the medical and law worlds are a little different.
The users have to be a bit more than just savvy to find the right
information sometimes.  Erik is right, sometimes the right tools are hard to
use, Medline with its controled voculabulary is powerful but difficult to
master.

I think there can be a balance, but I am not sure what it would be.
Michelle
Michelle Kraft
Medical Librarian
South Pointe Hospital