[WEB4LIB] Re: In defense of stupid users: "Tennant's Law"

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Thu May 5 13:49:37 EDT 2005

> Off list, Isabel Danforth brought up the possibility of a connection
> with Ranganathan's 5 laws.
> What say you Roy, any chance you inspired by Ranganathan?
>
> In any case this should be called "Tennant's Law"

I agree. Consciously or not, our beloved Roy was reframing Ranganathan's
First Law. "Books are for use." Not to be hidden in closed stacks, not to be
selected to meet the librarian's needs or interests, not to be made so hard
to get to that users give up to go elsewhere.

He Who Shall Not Be Named once "rewrote" Ranganathan's laws, but Ranganathan
needs no rewriting. One of the better bloggers out there has been talking up
good old Rangy this week--nice to read.

Karen G. Schneider