[WEB4LIB] In defense of stupid users

Jennifer Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Thu May 5 12:24:13 EDT 2005

I can't really discuss it, because my response is "What he said."
I want a single-search engine. I also want the individual searches for
when I want to do something cool like limit ERIC to research reports or
browse by subject heading-subheading in Academic Index. But I'm tired of
feeling that I'm dragging unwilling students (and my unwilling self)
from database to database in search of a simple collection of sources--
it's worse than going to the mall in search of a simple black skirt with
a pre-teen in tow.
Not to mention having to fight with different terminology and different
indexing schemes (try looking for medieval glass beads in other
databases, then try Google Scholar. Read 'em and weep).
The same people who complain so vociferously about the Google paradigm
don't flinch when they see their users searching Jstor or Science Direct
under the impression that these are subject databases.
-- Jenne Heise

/   Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb at lehigh.edu
\ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072
  / Fairchild-Martindale Library, 8A Packer Ave, Bethlehem PA 18015

"Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard