No subject

Karen Coombs coombsk at cortland.edu
Wed May 18 14:18:02 EDT 2005

Frankly, I couldn't agree more. However, your staffing priorities are a
direct result of the vision of libraries and librarianship that is being
set by your institution. Not everyone shares my vision of the role of
libraries. If you see the primary responsibility of libraries as
providing a cohensive, unbiquitious access to information to their users
then you probably allocate staff to develop systems to serve this
function. If you believe that the focus of librarianship is on user
education and information literacy then you allocate your staff in a
very different way. The niche I see libraries able to fill the best is
putting all the pieces together for users so that they can more easily
locate and access the information that fufills their needs. That being
said, personally there are days when I feel the task is enormous because
the disperateness of both the library systems and the resources two
which libraries are trying to provide access. Perhaps a little
collaboration would make the job a lot easier.

Karen A. Coombs
Electronic Services Librarian
SUNY Cortland
coombsk at cortland.edu