[WEB4LIB] RE: PDF versus HTML

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Wed Mar 30 16:10:56 EST 2005

Yes, Walt does (thanks, Mark, for mentioning that).

Walt also knows from testing that a well-formatted single-column HTML
version would require roughly twice as much paper as the two-column PDF
form (not just because it's single column)--and that some people who
"prefer HTML" will go ahead and print it out, thus wasting more paper.

By the way, Walt has also started making most essays in Cites & Insights
available as HTML separates, linkable from the content or home page.
Exceptions are:

a. Essays that are so long that it saves paper to just print the whole
issue--which also means they're way too long to read on screen (but I won't
try to stop those so inclined)

b. Essays that don't make sense outside of the issue context, such as Bibs
& Blather, Following Up, and some others of that sort.

And, of course, anyone who finds PDF just so awful that they won't read C&I
as a result has stated their preferences, and is certainly entitled to
them...there's lots of stuff to read out there, so they certainly won't go
begging.

Cheers,
walt crawford

In Walt's commentary regarding why he uses PDF he states as one of his
reasons: so that people will print it out. Walt feels that Cites and
Insights is too long to be read online.

Mark Bardsley