Web Page Width - To Restrict or Not to Restrict

Smith, Sarah sarah.smith at fresnolibrary.org
Thu Mar 17 14:38:24 EST 2005

There's some discussion in my organization as to whether to restrict the
width of web pages on a site or let them grow per resolution. I've
noticed many sites restrict actual content width (including menus,
headers, footers) to fit at 800x600 resolution. I've made sure the pages
are viewable (they scale down) to fit width-wise in an 800x600 setting,
but I also allowed them to "grow" to fill up the width of a 1024x768 (or
other size) screen/resolution setting. Are there any guidelines as to
whether one *should* or *should not* set a specific (max) width? Thanks,

Sarah