[WEB4LIB] Re: * Frenzy Begins Over Cookie Alternative

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 31 23:20:36 EST 2005

I think what the story's referring to is the use of Flash player browser
plugin technology to display advertising. See John Dowdell's take on this on
the Macromedia site, "Those *%$&#* Flash ads!!"
(http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/jd_forum/jd023.html). Here's what he says
near the end of this piece:

"Instead of storing data in the browser's cookie file, Macromedia Flash
stores data in its own file. You can access the controls by context-clicking
on any Macromedia Flash content, choosing Settings, and clicking the Local
Storage tab. The default size for how much data a domain can store is
100K—large for ads but moderate (some have said "too small!") for most
non-ad uses. You can set your player to never accept data from a particular
domain but, so far, I've found it easier to set my global data settings low
so that any request for local storage will display a permissions dialog
box."

If you're not using a browser that has the Flash player installed as a
plugin, you won't ever see these ads or need to be concerned about this
issue.

David Mattison
Victoria, BC, Canada
dmattison at shaw.ca