[WEB4LIB] Library website content benchmarks, best practices?

Rachel Shuttlesworth rshuttle at bama.ua.edu
Fri Mar 18 11:26:13 EST 2005

In a somewhat similar attempt to determine what level of resources
should be focused on our library web site, I'm trying to find
information regarding how many people at various academic libraries (1)
work full time on the site (content, design, and maintenance), (2) serve
on some sort of web site committee, and (3)supply occasional content to
the site.

Our situation is that we have one librarian who is the full time web
site person. We have a web site committee of seven persons who have
minimal time they can allocate to the site itself (full time reference
librarians, computer lab managers, systems managers, etc.). We also have
a few (less than five, probably) librarians who contribute content to
the site, often as Word documents that have to be reformatted, etc. for
the web. What happens is that the web site manager spends all of her
time doing maintenance with no time for anything else related to the
site. What I need to know (and would love input on from all of you) is
how "normal" this situation is. I think if I can demonstrate to others
in the library that more time and energy need to be focused on the web
site by showing what others are doing, it may help our case. I've tried
to find articles and other info on library web staffing and have not
been successful. Any ideas, information, and input would be so appreciated.

Thanks,
Rachel Shuttlesworth