Decision tree for Web resources

Jim Campbell campbell at virginia.edu
Wed Mar 16 10:42:48 EST 2005

We offer users a lot of information and a lot of paths to that information.
Both are a good thing and both can sometimes get in the way of actually
finding the specific information a user needs. Adding an Open URL resolver
and working on metasearch should have simplified things a bit, but at least
for now more options have just created even more confusion for both staff
and users.  We need some hierararchy that can establish what the best
approach is for a given need.

I've seen/heard of various attempts at reader's advisors, asking questions
to narrow down a user's options, but off hand I can't remember where or what
they are. Can anyone suggest good examples of this sort of thing? Perhaps
more importantly, if they're out there do people actually use them?

- Jim Campbell

Digital Access Coordinator and
Librarian for German
University of Virginia Library
Voice: 434-924-4985
E-Mail: Campbell at Virginia.Edu

"Pessimismo dell'intelligenza, ottimismo della volontà. "
(Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will.)
   - Antonio Gramsci.  Quaderni dal carcere.