mylibrary

Eric Lease Morgan emorgan at nd.edu
Mon Mar 14 12:40:33 EST 2005

I have been having fun with MyLibrary, see:

   * example search interface - http://tinyurl.com/5jrdr
   * administrative browse interface - http://tinyurl.com/4ztrt

MyLibrary 3.0 is a tool allowing librarians to create collections of
metadata and then disseminate that metadata to many venues through many
mediums. The system allows the librarian to create an unlimited number
of facet/term combinations for classifying information resources.
Information about the resources is then saved to the underlying
database. Finally, reports can be written against the database in the
form of browsable lists, Web Services streams, or even indexes for
searching. The index even implements a Did You Mean? sort of service a
la Google. (This version of MyLibrary does not support the
customization of the previous version, but that is in the works.)

We use MyLibrary here at Notre Dame to manage our website content, but
we call it the DDW (Database Driven Website). The data above is a dump
of the content we have created here at Notre Dame.

Technically speaking, MyLibrary is a database application with a Web
front-end. It uses a set of object oriented Perl modules to provide I/O
against the database. Sets of Perl scripts are then written against the
modules to provide command-line and Web-based interfaces.

MyLibrary is proving to be very flexible. For example we have been able
to syndicate our MyLibrary content to the campus-wide portal that uses
SCT Luminus (a.k.a. uPortal). It has proven successful in importing
data from our catalog via MARC and RDF. We have also been able to
populate MyLibrary via OAI repositories, see:

   http://tinyurl.com/63xhy

Fun with MyLibrary.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department

(574) 631-8604