[WEB4LIB] RE: CSS vs. Tables

Ian Chan afitc at uaa.alaska.edu
Thu Mar 10 16:28:59 EST 2005

I've found it easier to use CSS to redisplay content for a variety of
devices [such as printers, handhelds, etc] and browsers.

Style sheets simplify generating text-only versions of web pages.

CSS also provides an efficient method for departments within an organization
to share the same piece of content but still use their own templates.
I.e.
http://dept.sccd.ctc.edu/libraries/newsfeeds/seattlepi_local.asp
And
http://dept.sccd.ctc.edu/cclib/Research_Tools/Find_Articles/seattlepi_local.
asp

http://dept.sccd.ctc.edu/cclib/Research_Tools/Citation_Style_Guides/mlacite.
asp
And
http://dept.sccd.ctc.edu/cclib/Research_Tools/Citation_Style_Guides/north/ml
acite.asp

Within our Blackboard course documents, we have inserted style sheet links
that allow us to apply a consistent format to course content.

Regards,

Ian Chan
Associate Professor
Web Services Librarian