[Web4lib] RE: [XML4Lib] google sitemaps

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Jun 28 14:33:36 EDT 2005

I'm not surprised. This was Google's first time to exhibit at ALA, and
they showed up with the same booth staff that they would use for
computer industry shows: young, blonde (I only saw females in the booth
when I went by), and very uninformed about the technology. I hope that
someone at Google picks up on the fact that ALA requires a different
approach.

kc

K.G. Schneider wrote:

>>To what degree has anybody here learned how to exploit Google sitemap
>>files? See:
>>
>>   http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/about.html
>>
>>Apparently these sitemaps are XML files that Google can read to create
>>more accurate crawls of a website. They seem to be an alternative or
>>supplement to OAI.
>>

>I have a sort-of story about this which I thought about putting on the LITA
>blog but decided it was too peripheral. I stopped by the Google booth at the
>ALA exhibits and saw a handout about this. I started to pull a copy forward
>to me.
>
>"Oh, THAT'S for webmasters," said the pretty young thing in the power suit,
>pulling back the handout.
>
>"I manage a website," I said.
>
>"Uh-er-uh," she replied, and let me take the handout.
>
>Honestly.
>
>I plan to look at this when I get back.
>
>Karen G. Schneider

kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net