[Web4lib] RE: [XML4Lib] google sitemaps

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Tue Jun 28 13:34:57 EDT 2005

> To what degree has anybody here learned how to exploit Google sitemap
> files? See:
>
>    http://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/docs/en/about.html
>
> Apparently these sitemaps are XML files that Google can read to create
> more accurate crawls of a website. They seem to be an alternative or
> supplement to OAI.

I have a sort-of story about this which I thought about putting on the LITA
blog but decided it was too peripheral. I stopped by the Google booth at the
ALA exhibits and saw a handout about this. I started to pull a copy forward
to me.

"Oh, THAT'S for webmasters," said the pretty young thing in the power suit,
pulling back the handout.

"I manage a website," I said.

"Uh-er-uh," she replied, and let me take the handout.

Honestly.

I plan to look at this when I get back.

Karen G. Schneider