[Web4lib] Online viewers around the web

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 07:41:49 EDT 2005

Recently I was in Lake Louise, a village in the Canadian Rockies, and my
only Internet access was a coin-operated machine -- one "Looney" buys 10
minutes of Web access. It got me to thinking about Web possibilities, when
Google or someone delivers Web-based apps to do basic office functions, and
all you need is a Web browser to compose a Word doc or edit your Powerpoint
presentation. Imagine being able to log in at any cybercafe or over any
device and resume your latest project. Sun used to say "the network is the
computer" -- maybe we're finally close to that vision.
 Anyhow, I suppose the most famous and visible PDF translator is Google,
with "View as HTML" from their cache. In years past, I used to encounter raw
Postscript a lot more than lately. Some communities, such as computer
science folks, like to distribute things in Postscript, probably because
they have ready access to Ghostscript and such tools. Personally I think one
should publish formatted printable documents as PDF.
 /rich