[Web4lib] CSS Question: Lists and Floating Divs

Gideon Lattimore gideon at dublin.com
Thu Jun 23 16:59:34 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm developing a CSS-based site design for our library and I've hit a snag that I hope can help with. On a page I've got a menu div set to float to the left of a content div, with the content wrapping underneath the menu. In most cases, this looks good, until I include an ordered/unordered list near the top of the page.

I've posted an example of what's happening: http://www.geocities.com/g_latt/test.html

(apologies for the GeoCities URL, but I don't have access to another publicly-accessible server at this moment)

You'll notice the list's bullets are "out-dented" so that the text of each list item lines up with the margin set by the menu div instead. I know if I set a wide left margin for the content div the list will indent properly, but the content will no longer wrap beneath the menu, and that's the request I'm trying to honor in this layout.

Might anyone have some advice on how to resolve this? My thanks in advance for any input!

Sincerely,
Gideon

By the way, the example is based on an excellent tutorial I found at Float Tutorial:  (sample page courtesy of Float Tutorial: http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/tutorial0801.htm)