[Web4lib] What is the microkey?

Bob Rasmussen ras at anzio.com
Thu Jun 23 12:33:28 EDT 2005

Thanks to Lars for a historical perspective from outside of ASCII-centric
America.

The links were interesting, but I must point out the OFFICIAL Unicode web
site: http://www.unicode.org . Note that their code charts include CJK
characters, which some of the other links do not. Also, the organization
publishes a book "The Unicode Standard 4.0", ISBN 0-321-18578-1.

I fell into this subject when, many years ago, I was demonstrating Anzio,
our telnet program, at the American Library Association conference. A
couple people asked about displaying diacritics. That led to "ALA
character set", USMARC character sets, downloaded soft characters,
codepages in Windows, CCCII, EACC, CJK, Unicode, right-to-left languages,
and complex scripts such as Arabic where letters have various forms. I did
some serious programming in order to accommodate all this, but I won't
bore you with that.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com