[Web4lib] FW: Request for info

Ryan Eby ebyryan at msu.edu
Wed Jun 22 12:52:17 EDT 2005

I used to use MovableType though I switched to Wordpress. They are both
great and one of the main reasons I switched is that I'm more familiar
with PHP. I also find Wordpress easier to use, install and customize.
We use Wordpress internally and I use it myself for my blog. I also
just recently implemented my department's "Online Handbook" using it
and it's working well so far. The main dept. intranet page brings in
the RSS feed from the handbook and other campus units using the Magpie
parser. While not behind a firewall as in library only these are behind
a user/passwd authentication. The firewall isn't going to be much of a
factor compared to what your server supports.

Another reason I use Wordpress is that it's dynamic instead of the
rebuild of pages. MovableType does have a dynamic option though I'm not
as fond of it. The building of pages does come in handy though for
projects that don't need to be dynamic (use it as a CMS) or for ones
where the target machine can't host dynamic scripts. I've used
movabletype on one computer (internal) to another computer (public)
that wasn't set up to host scripts due to security reasons.

Since you are just starting you may find Wordpress easier to begin
with. The install process (once the database is created) is about as
easy as it gets. Since it's open source you can try it out at the site
below along with various other ones. Hope it helps.

http://opensourcecms.com/

Ryan Eby
MSU Distance Learning Services
http://ebybox.aresgate.net/blog/